December 11, Kathmandu: Every year on December 11 the international mountain Day is celebrated. In December 2002 United Nations General Assembly Resolution 57/245 officially declared December 11th as International Mountain Day. In 2003 first international mountain Day was celebrated.
This year’s International Mountain Day Theme
“Sustainable Mountain Tourism” is the main theme for this year’s International Mountain Day. Sustainable mountain tourism can help to provide new and alternative livelihood opportunities while also encouraging poverty reduction, social inclusion, and landscape and biodiversity protection. It is a method of preserving natural, cultural, and spiritual history, promoting local crafts and high-value items, and commemorating various traditional customs like local festivals.
Benefits of Mountain
- Provide a home for almost 1.1 billion people
- Host about half of the worlds biodiversity hotspots
- Are the origin of 6 of the 20 most important food crops.
- Forest cover around 40% of the global mountain area
- Provide upto 60 to 80% of worlds fresh water.