April 20, 2023: Despite overwhelming obstacles, rescuers managed to locate Anurag Maloo alive this morning. The Indian climber had miraculously survived for three days inside a crevasse below Camp 3 on Annapurna. In critical condition, Maloo was airlifted from the mountain by helicopter.

The rescue operation itself was nothing short of extraordinary. Prateek Gupta, from the ASC360 insurance company, reported that a small team braved treacherous weather conditions to approach one of the most hazardous areas on the mountain – a serac zone between 5,600-6,000m frequently hit by avalanches. In this challenging location, they managed to evacuate Maloo from a massive crevasse that was estimated to be anywhere from 100-300 meters deep (reports vary).

After rescuing Anurag from the deep crevasse, he was airlifted to Pokhara-based Manipal Hospital for emergency treatment. Later in the afternoon, he was referred to Kathmandu for further treatment.

Anurag attempted to scale Annapurna this season on a mission to climb all 14 peaks above 8,000 meters and the seven highest points in all seven continents. He has been awarded REX Karam- Veer Chakra. He also became the 2041 Antarctic Youth Ambassador from India.

He received CPR for more than four hours as a crucial measure to safeguard his heart and brain. To induce hypothermia, a team led by Dr. Ashim Subedi at the Emergency Department of Manipal Teaching Hospital worked tirelessly, keeping him on a mechanical ventilator, administering pressure-raising drugs, and not discontinuing the CPR. With Dr. Subedi and Dr. Anil Bhusal by his side, Maloo was transported to Nepal Mediciti Hospital in a military helicopter piloted by Subash Khadka. Upon arrival, Dr. Sanjaya Karki of the Emergency Department at Mediciti Hospital took over Maloo’s case and transferred him to the ICU for further treatment. A group of doctors, including Dr. Ashim Regmi, Dr. Bijoy Rajbanshi, and Dr. Kishor Khanal, oversee Maloo’s treatment at Mediciti Hospital. Despite being in a very critical condition, there are some positive signs from the medical interventions. Although Maloo is still on a ventilator with ongoing pressure-raising drugs, he is attempting to move his body and breathe spontaneously, which is encouraging. According to sources at Mediciti Hospital, his blood pressure has risen, and his heart rate is stable, but his urine output is low.