May 25,2023O: officials have reported the unfortunate death of a Canadian climber above Camp III on Mt Everest today, bringing the total number of fatalities for the season to 12. Additionally, two Nepali climbers and three foreign climbers are still missing in the treacherous high camps of the world’s tallest peak.

The deceased climber has been identified as Petrus Albertyn Swart from Canada. According to sources at the base camp, Swart fell ill above Camp IV due to high altitude sickness while on his way to the summit. He was assisted in descending to Camp IV but tragically passed away during his journey to Camp III. It has been revealed that Swart was part of an expedition managed by Madison Mountaineering.

In a separate incident, solo Hungarian climber Suhajda Szilard has gone missing from the Hillary Step since his attempt to scale Mt Everest without supplemental oxygen or personal Sherpa support on May 24. A team of Sherpa rescuers, aided by a helicopter, has been tirelessly searching for him, as shared by sources.

Another climber, Malaysian Hawari Bin Hashim, aged 33, has been missing since May 18 when he arrived at Camp IV from the summit. Additionally, Shrinivas Sainis Dattatraya, an Indian Singaporean climber, went missing at an altitude of 8,500 meters on Mt Everest. It is reported that Shrinivas fell into the Tibetan side from that height. The expedition organizers are currently engaged in ongoing efforts to locate the missing climber.

In a separate development, Ranjit Kumar Shah from Janakpur and his Sherpa guide Phuri have been out of contact since May 25, near the South Summit. Their last tracked GPS location was recorded around 1:00 am, leaving uncertainty about whether they are descending to lower camps.

These recent incidents add to the series of unfortunate events on Mt Everest. Ang Kami Sherpa, a kitchen staff member at Camp II, lost his life on May 21 after a fall at the helipad while collecting logistics. Australian climber Jason Bernard Kennison, aged 40, passed away while returning from the summit on May 19.

Malaysian police officer Ag Askandar Bin Ampuan Yaacub lost his life above the South Col on May 19 while climbing Mt Everest. Officials have confirmed that Sherpa climbers are en route to the high camp to recover his body.

On May 18, Xuebin Chen, aged 52, perished near the South Summit while attempting the final push towards the summit. Furthermore, Suzanne Leopoldina Jesus, an Indian woman climber who fell ill at the Mt Everest base camp, unfortunately died in Lukla while undergoing treatment at a local hospital at around 5:13 am on the same day. Victor Brinza from Moldova succumbed to illness at the South Col on May 17, and Phurba Sherpa from Sankhuwasabha lost his life near the Yellow Band above Camp III on May 16. Additionally, American doctor Jonathan Sugarman, aged 69, passed away during his acclimatization rotation at Camp II on May 01.

Tragically, the incident on April 12 claimed the lives of Dawa Tseri Sherpa, Pemba Tenzing Sherpa, and Lakpa Rita Sherpa, who were buried in an avalanche that struck an icefall route above the base camp. The dangers of scaling Mt Everest continue to be a stark reality, highlighting the immense challenges faced by climbers and the utmost importance of safety measures in such expeditions.

Image source: Tashi Lakpa Sherpa